Inspirational Bible Verse of the Day

Thursday 8 December 2022

Bible Verse #5: THE CHRISTIAN SOUL FOOD - Encouraging Bible Verses to Live By

“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” John 4:34

I find this to be a very powerful declaration! How encouraging it is to the Christian soul!

Consider the scripture quoted above. Jesus had not eaten anything up to this time of day. The disciples knew therefore that Jesus was hungry; so, they brought Him some food and asked Him to spare some time to eat.

But note Jesus’ response!


First Jesus told the disciples that He had food to eat that they did not know anything about. Of course, the disciples would not have known anything about the food Jesus referred to because they had never considered it to be food; this is why they wondered if somebody had already brought Jesus some food to eat.

Then Jesus explained, “My food… is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” John 4:34

Jesus’ response challenges me to the bone!

Just imagine how important food is. Food gives us energy; it keeps us active. Food maintains our health and all our body parts in perfect form and functionality. Food gives us life; without it, nobody survives.

That is the importance of physical food to human beings.

Yet Jesus, in my view, takes this to be a lower level in the food category. There is a higher level of ‘food’, the one that has to be taken ahead of lunch and dinner! Man shall not live by bread alone; I now understand this better.

What was Jesus’ favorite food? It was “to do the will of him who sent Him and to finish His work.” What a mindset!

Doing the will of God should be the Christian’s favorite food. Not pizza! Not burgers! Not ice cream!

Check this. Jesus effectively said, “I get energy from doing the will of God. I function better when I am in the will of God. I am alive only to the extent that I am functioning within the will of God. I get the strength and the desire to go on with life only when I am in the perfect will of God. Earthly life is meaningless if I operate outside of the will of God.”

Something like that did Jesus teach His disciples.

A mindset to emulate, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Our Bible Verses

* indicates required

Bible Verse #27: THE BATTLE BELONGS TO THE LORD – The Battle is Never Yours - Inspirational Bible Scriptures and Verses

“But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him. So I will stretch out my hand …” Exodus 3: 19-20 I...